According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, lawyers rank 4th in suicides. All across the nation, lawyers are killing themselves at alarming rates. The State Bar of California, has added a ‘mental illness’ component to mandatory continuing legal education. The reasons and circumstances precipitating suicide vary, but the stresses of practicing law are the same.
Join nationally recognized speaker on this topic, Katherine Bender, Ph.D., from the Dave Nee Foundation, for an honest discussion about suicide in the legal profession. Dr. Bender discusses the stress and depression that begins as early as law school and grimly plagues many attorneys throughout their careers. Dr. Bender will leave you with a lot to think about.
- Suicide in law school
- Triggers of suicide
- Why practicing law is so stressful
- Are there warning signs?
- The public perception of a lawyer vs. reality
- How to reach out to colleagues at risk
- Where to seek confidential assistance
- Living healthier professional and personal lives